Get started in 60 seconds
Visit playground.wordpress.net to get your very own, private, in-browser WordPress running. That’s it! Now you can build a theme, build an entire site, test a plugin, and more! Here’s the gist of it:
The operating system of the web – on your device
Web browsers are just the beginning – WordPress Playground works in Node.js, mobile apps, VS Code, and more. Whether you want to build a note-taking application for mobile devices, an automated testing environment, or demo a live WooCommerce store on your site – Playground will support you.
- PHP runs as a WebAssembly binary
- MySQL is replaced for SQLite via a WordPress plugin
Dig into the WordPress Playground documentation to learn more about these concepts.
Integrate it with your app in 5 minutes
Developer experience is a big part of Playground Philosophy – a single
tag is all it takes to integrate Playground with your application:
That’s it! In case you wonder –
?mode=seamless tells Playground to fill the entire page. You can also say
?plugin=gutenberg, and more – it’s called Query API and you can read more about it in the documentation.
⚠️ Playground is an active exploration – it works reasonably well, but it has limitations and the API might change without a warning.
Playground API – the platform for building platforms
Use WordPress Playground API to unlock its full potential. Here’s a few inspirations of what you can build:
- Single-click website clones to experiment with design updates and plugins
- Zero-setup website builders
- WordPress programming tutorials in the browser without any local setup
- PHP and WordPress versions switchers—helpful for testers
- Bug reports that include a real reproduction
- Single-click development environments for reviewing code, onboarding new developers, or debugging failed tests directly in the CI (imagine visiting WordPress.org, pressing a button, and starting your first PR right there)
Get involved and change the future of the web
WordPress Playground is a young project, which means you can have a lot of impact.
Playground is a collective effort, and it benefits the most from passionate and talented people like you. By contributing, you can help evolve the project to solve all kinds of challenges.
- Add issues or pull requests to the WordPress Playground GitHub repository
- Find more details in the project documentation
- Join the conversation in the #meta-playground channel on Making WordPress Slack
Anyone can contribute, even if you’re not a developer. Your feedback, questions, feature requests, and ideas help move things forward. Even sharing the joy of WordPress Playground with your network can help more people discover the project.